SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delcogreg

Tecumseh engine leaking gas in storage

17 years ago

This afternoon I ran a Tomahawk chipper I bought this summer and put it in the garage for the night with just a little gas still in the tank. I kept smelling gas and thought I must have some on me, but I eventually changed clothes and realized the smell must be coming from the garage (under the bedroom). Sure enough, I went out and there was a wet circle on the floor under the chipper and I could see gas slowly dripping from the air filter. I took off the air filter and could see gas seeping out of the carb.

There is no shutoff on the tank or the fuel line, so I can only imagine that something must be bad for it to be leaking gas like this. Is this a common thing with some engines? Does anyone have any ideas as to what sort of problem might cause this?

I am sure if I add an in-line shutoff that will be the end of this problem, but I thought I would ask here first for ideas on what might be going on.

Hmm... now that I think about it, could this just be a clogged vent on the gas cap? I opened the cap and it didn't seem like there was any pressure. In fact, it seemed like the leak sped up a bit.

Greg

Comments (5)