SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Mismarked Plum Trees at Wal-mart

drrich2
12 years ago

Hi:

Today picked up a Candy Rosa Plum Tree at Lowe's in Hopkinsville, KY. Wanted another Japanese Plum for pollination & better yield, but the other other one they had was Santa Rosa (it's my understanding Candy Rosa is a derivative of Santa Rosa somehow, and I've yet to find a reference indicating S.R. is a workable pollinator for C.R.).

A bit later, with sprinkling & some dark clouds overhead, I stood in Wal-mart's parking long eying their plum trees. They had a few with a big rectangular tag marked Plum Purple on the front, with a photo of dark purple oval plums, and on the back, label is Prunus domestica and give height, sun needs, etc...

BUUUUUT, on that little plastic tie that's got the bar code & what not, I see some are marked Methley Plum and one Burbank Plum, which are both cultivars of Japanese Plum, Prunus salicina.

The leaves look much the same between my two new trees to my untrained eye.

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to the true identify of the tree (I know there's no way to know for sure)? Or which of the identification documents on the tree is most apt to be right? I thought maybe some of you might see the same thing in your area (I'm in southwestern KY) and be able to tell (a long shot, but figured I'd try).

Richard.

P.S.: The documentation on the tree simply indicates Wal-mart, not a nursery I could contact to ask.

Comments (6)