SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesman13

Please help with Snow Blower

bluesman13
17 years ago

Hello,

My first post-

My neighbor across the street has informed me that he doesn't want me backing into his driveway to get up mine in the winter. And, the guy who blows my driveway is the neighborhood gossip hound. So, me being one who can take subte hints, is going to buy a snowblower to get rid of the neighborhood gossiper, and placte my neighbor by not backing into his driveway.

A little bit about my driveway: It's 52' long and 20' wide with a very nice approx 45 degree slope, that even with a couple on inch snowfell prevents us from amkaing it up the driveway. We live in Minneapolis, Minnesota, which despite it's winter reputation, get approx 50" of snow per year and the most accumulation in one snowfall is no more than 10-12".

So, I read alot on this forum and others and shopped around a bit. I desperately need opinions, but here's what I was thinking.

I'm thinking of a two stage, 5.5 hp Ariens machine (model St-5524), currently selling for $699 (minus 10% for opening a Home Depot Credit card). I considered the St-520 selling for $599 (-10%) but I'm not a big guy and the larger wheels on the 5524 really made it easier to move the machine around in the store. And I think the larger wheel will also help when my sloped driveway gets slippery. I also liked these Ariens models becasue they are in their compact line and I don't have a lot of room in my garage.

So, if you have any suggestions, please post them, I need all the help I can get!

Thanks a lot!

Comments (22)