SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Liatris Spicata

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

Most of the flower buds were eaten off my Liatris Spicata plants by what I deduce was a rabbit since most of foliage wasn't eaten.

If I understand correctly what I've read (questionable) any new blooms will come from new stalks grown from base of plants.

Is this correct?

I assume it's too late in the season for new stalks to grow sufficiently to provide flowers this year.

***Should I cut down stalks where they ate off the flower buds?

Also from what I understand Liatris Spicata can either be cut back in late fall or early spring. Assuming from reading this is to ground. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't want to not have bloom spikes on this in my butterfly garden for 2 years in a row.

I'm truly critter exhausted. Between the deer, rabbits and groundhogs it'll be a real feat if there's anything left to bloom in the next month. I'm trying everything I can spray and/or sprinkle to keep the at least confused for a day or two but not even the fence worked for one of the critters. This is so disappointing after all the work that's gone into my first gardening venture.

Feeling sorry for myself this morning after surveying another night's damage after spraying RepelsAll on almost everything except milkweed last night before I came in.

I'm doing a "snap out of it" by thinking about people in midwest who's entire lives are underwater right now.

Some help on what to cut and or not cut would still be much appreciated.

Comments (6)