SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bribagel

Pruning a Young Star Magnolia

13 years ago

My mom has bought a star magnolia that seems to be in some bad need of shaping and my non-gardener father has it in mind to try and "straighten" the "bent" branch so it grows more upright. I'm trying to convince them that first of all, these trees are not supposed to grow like telephone poles and, second, that some careful pruning is all it needs.

Problem is, I have no idea what kind of pruning would be helpful.

Is there any way to coax this thing into a more even habit? I'm not asking for symmetry, just something that doesn't look like it's falling over.

I'd like it if the tree could be somehow assisted in growing some branches in the other direction, but I'm not sure if this works for Magnolias as well as it has for some of the other trees I've worked with. The only thing I can really come up with is cutting it back to one of the lateral branches in hopes that that would lead to it putting more energy into them.

{{gwi:335714}}

{{gwi:335715}}

Any advice would be great. Have any of you had experience with pruning star magnolias? I hear they can be kind of fussy if you cut on them too much.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting