SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radagast_gw

Truly disease resistant roses other than Knockouts

radagast
13 years ago

This post was inspired by a discussion in the recent "Visit to Lowe's Today" thread regarding how Knockout roses seem to have taken over most big box stores and other nurseries. The discussion continued into how there are other disease resistant roses out there that easily compete with Knockouts, but which are far less known. I'm interested in seeing which roses - or groups of roses - fall into that category; ideally, they would be easily available commercially, too.

Easy Elegance roses were mentioned as a group of tough, disease resistant roses.

Buck's Roses were also listed as being tough and cold harder

Finally, Earthkind roses - this is a designation based on performance, not a specific family of related roses - were also listed.

There are probably others out there that can compete with Knockouts in the realm of disease resistance, and I'm not really expecting an exhaustive list, but I am curious about the experiences of folks who have grown these roses or similar ones. Are they truly disease resistant (particularly with regard to blackspot) and easy to grow? I know different roses are suited for different climates, but I can't believe Knockouts are about the only generally easy to grow roses outside of some of the old species or once-flowering Old Roses.

Anyway, I hope this thread proves to be of some use!

Comments (28)