SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsmallen

Echinacea Problem...Help Needed

rsmallen
16 years ago

This problem has happened both last year and this year. I have loads of coneflowers planted in the front and the side yards...and this only happens in the front bed.

Last year I planted Kim's Knee High...6 plants. 1 survived. I stuck in 6 Twilight and moved the Kim. 5 have survived.

Symptoms...plants come up. Green. Good shape. Getting buds. Some stalks on one (or more in the case of Kim's) plant begin to wilt as if they were underwatered. (They were not) Soon the wilt turns to a brown stalk and shrivels up and dies. The buds have continued to try to pink up. Soon more stalks get the same way on the same plant until almost or all of the plant is a shriveled, dry, brown mess. A girlfriend said she had the same problem and put Diazinon Granules (which I would be loathe to use) and slug bait granules around her's this year and they are fine. I see no evidence of insect infestation OR slug/grub problems.

NEW SYMPTOM: 2 of the 5 remaining Echinaceas that are in bloom or in bud have suddently lost a few buds. They are simply laying in the mulch aside of the plant and are removed from the plant as neatly as if a scissors or knife had cut them off. I immediately suspected my grandsons having experienced this with my son (My peonies' buds had black ants and his solution to ant removal was to cut off the offending buds) but they deny having any responsibility. Again, I do not see any signs of insects.

Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks!

Robin

Comments (6)