SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Suggestions Wanted - Tall Sun Perennial

Carrie B
11 years ago

I've just planted a small Hydrangea paniculata 'Quickfire' to the right of the bay window (and to the left of Hydrangea 'Tokyo Delight') which I think will eventually fill this spot nicely. Eventually.

In the meantime, I'd like a plant that will get 5-7' tall relatively early in the season, and will stay tall & decent looking until close to frost. I think I'd prefer either something with dark flowers (purple might look nice against the light stucco) or has enough foliage to provide contrast. Flowers matter less than foliage/filling the spot. My thoughts so far have been Verbena bonariensis, Thalictrum, or tall Asiatic or Oriental lilys that I can plant behind and around the hydrangea while I wait a few years for it to grow. In a few years - when the hydrangea grows up, I'll probably move whatever I plant there to another location.

The spot gets pretty much full sun (up until last year, when I lost a peach tree, it was fairly shady, hence the hydrangea macrophylla & other shade plants nearby - I'm in the process of shifting plants in this area from mostly shade to mostly sun lovers.) The tall plant right up against the window is Joe Pye Weed - Eupatorium 'Baby Joe', though I think it's already taller than it is supposed to get & it's been wilting on hot days - I could get more Eupatorium - but it seems to want less city sun than it gets here.

My city soil is quite alkaline, though I apply a top-dressing of compost several times a season. I'd love any suggestions you may have.

{{gwi:232650}}

Comments (9)