SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nova_novice

my obscure faithful friend Jude

nova_novice
16 years ago

I've always wanted a rose garden, but being rootless for so long, I could never have one. I never understood why anyone would plant another bush, when you can have glorious flowers all summer with roses. I guess I am not alone in that conviction

Four years ago, I bought a townhouse in N. Virginia, close to Washington DC. I was planting roots of my own. It had a tiny garden, with some very boring plants and bushes. But part of the garden was west facing and got good sun all afternoon. So I plotted that the following spring, I would rip out 3 tired looking azaleas and put in roses.

Well fate had a different idea. I fell that april, and dislocated my shoulder and I spent the summer with my arm in a sling. Heavy garden work was out of the question

But my local nursery had a bunch of austin roses, and had one that caught my eye. It was Jude the Obscure, or just 'Jude' as I call him. Seeing me in my sling, the nursery staff took pity, and planted Jude in a big pot for me and I took him home. All during my long convalescence that summer, Jude just sat out front and bloomed his head off. The fragrant blossoms made him the most popular resident in my development. He bloomed all the way to Thanksgiving that year!

Well, roll forward three years, and Jude is still there. I have long since dug out the ugly azaleas, and even tried out some other roses (they just couldn't compare to Jude). Some years were better than others, sometimes, to be honest, I neglected him. But, he remains my faithful friend, always at work perfuming my small garden. He never asks for much for me, just some water, and a bit of food. He never gets diseased, even though blackspot is a big problem around here.

This year, Jude is 3, and is coming into his own. I gave a good pruning at the end of the winter (his first). He loved that, and now he is covered with 20, 30...I lost count of how many blossoms he has. Through thick and thin, through all the ups and downs of life, there he is, my obscure faithful friend Jude

Here is a link to his pic (I hope it works)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:262910}}

Comments (10)