SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

My Homebuilt Wisconsin Greenhouse

11 years ago

I built this greenhouse last summer/fall. I started building it in early August and finished it in mid October. I'm actually still adding things to it (in the process of adding an exhaust fan and intake damper). The greenhouse is framed with a 3/4" PVC skeleton. The end walls are treated lumber. I also have a 4x6 beam that runs down the center with 2 posts that are cemented into the ground. In the back I have a concrete room built that has a metal roof. In this room I have a barrel stove that I use to heat the greenhouse. There is one layer of poly on the outside of the PVC skeleton and another layer on the inside -- so there is an air gap between the two layers. So far the greenhouse has been through 50 mph winds, heavy rains and heavy snow. The snow slides right off the plastic and never accumulates.

Here are some pictures. Outside looking at greenhouse tonight.

{{gwi:311894}}

Standing at doorway looking in.

{{gwi:311895}}

Wireless router (yes I ran a network cable out there!!), wireless temp receiver (puts temperature on website every 10 mins for me to monitor), and one of my thermostats (I have 3 of these stats -- each one controls a 1500 watt electric heater that I use for backup heat for when I can't stuff the wood stove).

{{gwi:311896}}

Exhaust fan. I'm still waiting for intake damper to arrive. Exhaust fan will kick on at 85 degrees -- this will also be controlled by a stat).

{{gwi:311898}}

Croton, ficus sylvie, musa basjoo and other stuff.

{{gwi:311900}}

Mandarin orange tree.

{{gwi:311901}}

Meyer lemon tree in full bloom.

{{gwi:311902}}

Late December strawberries.

{{gwi:311903}}

Wood stove that uses outside air for combustion.

{{gwi:311904}}

Inner layer of poly is held up by strings which are stretched tight across the length of the greenhouse. I use bungees where it bends down for extra support in the corner.

{{gwi:311905}}

Almost 66F inside and it's 24F outside. Nice!

{{gwi:311906}}

Comments (16)