SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danyoni

Fruit flies in bin - neighbors complaining - please help

danyoni
17 years ago

We recently remodeled our yard and I had to change my bin from an open chicken wire to a black pre-fab one with the little door on the bottom for the finished compost ( was having a problem with rodents). We have a pretty small yard and here in Los Angeles my side yard, where the bin is, is only around 7 feet from my next-door neighbor's kitchen door. The other day she told me that she was having a terrible fruit fly problem and had to call an exterminator! Although I was too embarrassed to say anything, I realize that it is my bin that is causing the problem -- it is infested with fruit flies and every time I open the lid they swarm out all over the place. Many end up in my house as well. Very annoying. I never had this problem before with the open bin. Does anyone have any advice for me? I read in another, older thread that someone suggested microwaving or freezing all fruit before it goes into the bin, but, frankly, I know that I just won't take the time and effort to do that. Is there another solution? I'd hate to stop composting, I really love it, but I have to do something FAST. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Holly

Comments (14)