SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
layneev

Large white pine: effectiveness of reducing crown?

layneev
10 years ago

Our tree service has recommended major pruning of five large pine trees in front of our house. They had already been here many years before we moved in about ten years ago, they are about 80-90 feet high. The tree service we use has been pretty good, and about five years ago they recommended (and did) this same procedure, reducing the crowns by 5-7 feet, pruning out other branches. They said it would make the pines more structurally sound in storms. We have many other pines on the property, including four or five that DID fall down in a major windstorm here a couple of years ago when many trees in the area fell. The pines further out in the woody areas are even taller, and they do look quite top heavy. Some of our neighbors have just cut down their big pines. Now that I've seen the relatively tiny root balls, even the pines in front of our house kind of scare me now too:) But I've also read that topping a pine is not good for it, and I'm not sure of the difference between "topping" and "reducing vertical height 5-7 feet." And any pruning of a tree that tall and old sounds a little pointless to me. But I don't want to challenge our tree people without some actual information. Can anyone help with ideas about best taking care of large white pines? Thank you so much!

Comments (12)