SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandrus82_gw

Shade tree advice for backyard

jandrus82
11 years ago

I'm looking to plant a shade tree in by backyard this Spring. Although I'm decent (passable? lol) at landscaping I'm somewhat at a loss of what and where to plant. I've attached two Google Map images of my property. The front of my house faces South, back of house North. Last fall I planted a Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry tree in between the shed & playset. I also planted a Royal Burgundy Cherry tree basically where Google's "Pin Point A" is located (about five feet closer to the playset). I'm willing to move the Cherry tree to the front if need be.

A couple of pictures:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/jandrus82/1.jpg
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/jandrus82/3.jpg

I have somewhat decent drainage in the backyard (around 4,000 sq ft.). Behind the playset and shed can get soggy in Spring, there is a 10' of Public Water Easement (for water drainage). PH is high at 7.8.

I was thinking of planting on the west side of my lot near the playset, don't want my girls to get burned up in the sun, but I'm open to placement as well.

From my local tree nursery I can obtain (and reason's I do and/or don't like):

-Autumn Blaze Maple
Gorgeous looking tree, awesome fall color. Great for dense shade. Worry about surface roots sucking my lawn's water.

-Armstrong Maple
Nice looking. Maybe I can plant 15-20 ft from Cherry. Again the roots, blah.

-Heritage River Birch
My favorite tree. Great bark, love the dappled shade. Can also be limbed up easily. Doesn't do "well" in my PH, but a decent amount of my neighbors have them and they look good.

-Ginkgo Autumn Gold
Love the fall color. Super slow grower.

-Zelkova Green Vase
Awesome looking tree. Love the vase shape. I can't find a good source on the spread of this tree, some say 30' and others say 50' (to big).

-American Hornbeam
Nice looking. Not really a shade tree IMO. My nursery recommended it though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor