SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolbythecoast

Does compost need to be finished?

coolbythecoast
17 years ago

So I am having a hard time understanding when my compost is ready.

Some say that un-finished compost ties up nitrogen making it temporarily unavailable to plants, it can actually rob added nitrogen from the crop not to mention any N in the soil or compost.

Yet I read that folks have good success planting in Lasagna gardens immediately upon building.

Others say that compost is not truely finished until all organic material has degraded into humus and that takes a long, long, long, long, long time (so I have watched Six Days and Seven Nights too many times, so sue me ).

I think I have read that others add a little nitrogen fertilizer when applying compost, then they don't have to worry if the compost robs a little nitrogen.

I am sooo confused. When is my compost 'ready'?

Other burning questions: If my compost cools down but still has recognizable vege matter, do I add urine, sugar, dog kibble, what? Is the 'what' N or is it C? Or is recognizable pieces of vege necessarily bad?

Is it a good or bad idea to age compost until it is mostly humus? Should I keep it in a trash can or something to keep nutrients from leaching? And what about the possibility of the N outgassing into the air?

I know that compost analyzes low is N, P, K as a percentage, but of course so does soil when you add a small amount of concentrated N, P, K. Since I typically add compost in the 100 lb range, am I in fact adding the same number of pounds of N, P, K compared to adding a lb or two of concentrated fertilizer? I would think that if the N, P, K percentage of the compost were to be the same as the soil, then no amount of compost would actually increase the percentage of N, P, K in the soil. Not to suggest that the only function of compost is the supply of immediately available fertilizer elements.

In that regard, my mushroom compost distributor implied that for my heavy clay soil, the most valuable function of adding compost would be the release of humic acid to break the ionic bonds of the clay, allowing it to crumble and allow water to penetrate. Yes, no, or did I get that all mixed up?

Thanks for any light you can shed on my compost ignorance.

Gary

Comments (12)