SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ndps99

Help with Nursery-Topped trees!

ndps99
15 years ago

Greetings!

Right to the issue then I'll unpack it.

I ordered a few trees from The Nursery at TyTy, GA. They are several years old, 6-7' tall and an inch or more caliper. I just noticed that each one was topped by the nursery. The main leader is cut and in no case is there a "leader-apparent" nearby to take its place. I can take photos if it would be helpful. They are pin oak, weeping willow, tulip tree and euro mountain ash.

My question: Is this bad? I think this is bad!

Unpacking the issue: First, I have never seen such trees come mail-order and I've rarely seen such even in nurseries. They are gorgeous, really gorgeous. They were supposed to be 5-7' tall and they are all on the higher end of that.

The arrived in late November when the ground was frozen. Gratefully, the day after they arrived was a freakish day in the 50's and there was enough thaw for me to put them in the ground. I am just noticing now that they are all topped. In the case of the weeping willow, all the upward-facing branches have been pruned, not just the leader.

Should I panic?

I also want to give a general but most heartfelt THANKS to the Garden Web fora participants and those who run the site. I have just joined as a member but have made extensive use of this site, particularly over the past year, which has been a tremendous aide in decision-making. Nothing like tapping into the experience of so many others!

ANY HELP or ASSURANCE you can give me would be most appreciated! Thank you so much!

-- Jay

Comments (8)