SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
game_bred

Poulan Chainsaw won't cut straight Going NUTS!!

Game_Bred
18 years ago

I've got a Poulan Wildthing 18" Chainsaw that's driving me absolutely nuts.

When I make a cut, I can see the chain drifting to the left in the wood. It cuts great for the first inch, then I have to tilt the saw to get the bar back in line with the chain. Then it's basically done. If I really wanted to wrench on it I could probably get it to keep cutting in a circle but I figure that'll just damage it further.

Now this just started today. I cut down 6 60 foot pines last year, chopped them all to around 18" pieces, and basically down to nothing but needles.

I cut a couple good size logs down today, and then made 2 cuts in a HUGE log (34" diameter). On the third cut on the big log it went bad. After that I could not cut anything deeper than an inch or so.

I thought, OK, maybe I've finally worn out this chain (sharpened god knows how many times). So I replaced the chain. No go. I looked to the bar then. It seemed a little loose, but not much. I replaced the bar anyway figuring it MUST be the culprit. NOPE.

So now, with a new bar and chain it's still drifting when I make my cuts. Tensioning the chain further does not help. I checked the sprocket, and it SEEMS fine. I'm obviously no chainsaw expert, so I could be wrong, but it seems OK to me. It is work where the chain rides, but very very little.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my chain is now tilting when I cut?

Thanks In Advance

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)