SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Best Crape myrtles for our situation?

I need some suggestions from zone 7 crape myrtle growers.

What do you think is the best crape myrtle for our situations? Here are the requirements:

We'd need two - one in front of the house to replace a large, water hogging, greedy maple tree, and one in the back to shade our deck, which will replace a mishapen, damaged dogwood. Both locations get full sun, good drainage. They can be different colors.

We would like fairly tall ones and fairly fast growing -- can get to 20 feet or more. We need these for shade as well as nice mid-summer color. Actually the color is optional -- could be lavender, pink, coral, but we prefer not plain white (which rules out 'Townhouse', 'Natchez', etc.).

We really want showy bark -- exfoliating to mottled or solid cinnamon if possible -- probably something with Lagerstoemia faurei in its genes.

At this point we're leaning toward 'Biloxi', 'Lipan', 'Miami' or 'Wichita'. -- most of these have the brown in their bark (I think Lipan is more white/gray). I love 'Tuscorora', but I'm not sure the bark color is all that great.

Any other ideas?

Comments (7)