SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need advice for these difficult shade areas

I have 2 difficult shade areas. We have old tall evergreens in 2 sections of the yard. Bottom branches have essentially lost all green tips and are dead. We thought they looked very scruffy like that, so opted to trim them off to the height where there are live branches. But that leaves a lot of bare space, once covered by low growing branches, and still shaded by the branches above. We need to fill it in with something, but what? I have no ideas for what will live in those areas of shade, but ferns. I do not want hostas: I already have 4 garden beds that are loaded with hostas.

The first section is under 2 blue spruces. The spruces were planted 25 years ago to mask large utility boxes in the corner of the yard. Now, after the branch trimming, the boxes are visible again. Grass has not been able to grow in front of that area, whether from the shade or something else, I don't know. The branches are now cleared to about head height. The foreground would get a small amount of morning sun. The part under the spruce branches would get no direct sun. Ideally, I would like some kind of shrub to fill this area visually and block the view of the utility boxes. Don't pine trees and needles make the soil acidic? Could I grow hydrangeas? I've wanted an oak leaf hydrangea for eons.

The second section is under a wild arborvitae. It is on the north side of the house, and never receives any direct sun. Branches have now been trimmed to about shoulder height. The area of bare dirt now exposed is about 5 feet out from the trunks. The furthest part out from the trunks is the path we take to walk into the back yard from the front. I have stepping stones there, because it is a mud pit from nothing being able to grow under those branches for so many years.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (11)