SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ytstuff

buying tractor to clear 700 ft driveway of snow

ytstuff
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm a first time buyer and looking to purchase a garden tractor primarily to clear my 700 foot driveway of snow, and to sand it as well.

the driveway is shared with the neighbor. My side has an incline, while the neighbor's is much steeper. his is another 300 feet or so from the split. I will also clean up his side, or vise-versa.

I live in Massachusetts about 30miles nort-west of Boston. where we tend to get fewer storms but they are bigger storms often 6-14", wet and icy snow.

btw my lawn area is actually quite small, with some landscaping and trees, while the neighbors is more open, rectangular, and much bigger. I can cut mine with a push-mower in about 45min. probably 30min if I didn't have to turn so much. the neighbor would probably shave 30min or more from this task.

I'm thinking a garden tractor with a 2-stage snow blower attachment is the way to go. I'm also hoping there's an attachment I can use to sand the driveway as well. is there such a thing?

From what I've been reading, the thing to spend money on is

the transmission. With such a long driveway pushing a 2-stage blower and with the grade, a beefier tranny seems to be a good thing.

right now I am considering these and hope you have some suggestions for me (or perhaps some other tractors)

I want something that lasts, and is low-maintenance. I can probably change the oil, but I'm not so sure I want to

replace/repair anything. plus with the baby, my wife would not be pleased if all I'm doing is getting another machine fixed/repaired instead of spending time with the family. actually she wants me to keep having someone plow the driveway.

1. which of these would you recommend for me?

[or others I should consider?]

a. Cub-cadet GT-2544 (msrp $3499)

c. John Deere X320 (msrp $3999)

b. Cub-cadet GT-2542 (msrp $3199)

d. John Deere X300 42(msrp $2899)

A few other things came up.

1. how long does it take to put on/take off the snow-blower attachment? is there something to make the process even faster? quick-hitch maybe? I assume its a 1-person job?

2. how long does it take ot put on/take off the mower deck?

3. what's the limitation with a mulching deck? can I still some attachment to collect leaves during the fall?

thanks for reading such a long post and thanks in advance for any wisdom you care to part!

YT

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions