SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildlifegardenermt

Greenhouse wall and foundation insulation

wildlifegardenermt
15 years ago

Greetings, this is my first posting, and probably not my last. I have been enjoying reading the wealth of information in this forum,and I have learned a lot. I am in the planning and material gathering stage of my GH right now. I am planning on building a small (6' x 8')GH this spring. The goals for the GH are to extend the vegetable gardening season, grow some plants in the winter (salad greens, broccoli, etc...) and use the GH to start veggies early in the spring. I will add supplimental heat only to keep it from freezing in the dead of winter and I'll keep it a bit warmer outside that period. I am planning a lot of insultation, and thermal mass and I have angled the roof to take advange of the low winter sun angle.

Here are the first two of many questions:

I am planning on pouring a concrete slab for the foundation for thermal mass and other reasons, and I was wondering about insulting the floor (both the perimeter and under the slab itself). It seems like there are a lot of ways to go on this, and many contradictory opinions.

The second questions is about wall insulation. The north wall and the north portion of the gable roof will be solid, conventionally framed and insulated. Would it be a problem to use fibergalss batts with moisture issues or would you reccomend rigid insulation. Also, do you think 2 x 4 walls (and R-13) is adequate for the solid walls or should I plan to use 2x6 and up to R-19?

Thanks, I look forward to your responses!

Comments (12)