SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Can you id this fruit from central London?

flora_uk
12 years ago

Any ideas? This fruit was found on the pavement near Sloane Street, central London. It comes from a row of street trees which were about the same habit and height as the nearby young plane trees. But the bark was different: uniform grey with gentle ridges somewhere between a Tilia and a young Quercus. The fruit above my head vaguely resembled the balls of a plane tree but as you can see were much spikier. They were closely attached to the twigs without long stems. This is the only one I could find and I think it has been stepped on. There are cup shaped depressions where a seed or nut appears to have fallen out. The nearest I can find is Liquidambar sp but the ribbon-like parts seem too long. The fruit is softly stiff, like a dried cobnut husk, not hard and spiky like a conker. It reminds me very vaguely of a rambutan. Sorry, no leaves in February and no dried leaves since this was on a street. This is not a British native, nor a common street tree. I could not find it on the Kew tree id app. Since it was in Central London, which has a warmer micro climate, it might not be hardy in most of the UK. No camera with me at the time so, sadly, no further pictures available.

Cup shaped depression:

{{gwi:333179}}

Short stem:

{{gwi:333181}}

'Back' ? of fruit cluster:

{{gwi:333182}}

Comments (6)