SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizzy123

Maple tree in decline, and I think I might know why...

littlelizzy123
10 years ago

Hello all!

We have just moved into a house, and we have a large maple tree in the front yard. It is looking pretty sad. If you can imagine suckers coming out of a trunk, that is what all the major limbs look like. No secondary or tertiary limbs coming out of the main ones, just sad little sucker looking things.

I will also add that there is a tree ring around the trunk, made of stone stack, which is at least 2.5 ft deep, filled with soil and mulch. I had an arborist look at it, as I thought it had some sort of disease, but he said is was likely just drought, which is common in Colorado. But that tree ring just got me to thinking. I have never seen a tree look quite like this.

Is the tree ring what is killing the tree? If I take it out, will the tree improve? It looks pretty bad, while it still gets healthy normal leaves, it doesn't even have enough boughs to make a proper canopy. If it doesn't get any better, I'm afraid it will have to come down, and I really don't want to do that if I can help it.

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. It looks extra sad because it is winter though.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath