SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgreenr

Hobby Greenhouse flooring options?

DgreenR
19 years ago

Hi All,

I will be recieving my Rion GH46 in two weeks about and I am trying to figure out what to use for the floor. Its demensions approximately are 8.5ft x 12.5ft. I will be growing things on shelves but I might want to plant some things directly in the ground as well so I wouldn't use anything too permenant or difficult to install. I am hoping to be able to use it all winter if that makes any difference. The spot that it is going to be put over at the moment is my vegetable garden and some lawn. Surrounding the greenhouse area are some hedges, a sidewalk and a garage - but it still gets a ton of sun (in the summer atleast.) The ground isn't completely level so I will hav to level it somehow before I put down the base which I bought from Rion.

I have considered using pea gravel or river stone for the floor and possibly putting down some kind of tarp under it to help prevent bugs and rodents. I was also considering putting down some kind of wood chips or bark. This seemed like a good idea but I am a little afraid it will rot, smell and attract bugs but I might be able to find a kind that works well. I was thinking maybe something like what is used on many playgrounds or the stuff that you use to keep out weeds and then trap heat in the garden over the winter. I'm not really sure, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-DB

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County