SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Roses For South Florida

SoFL Rose z10
10 years ago

Hi All
I have recently been bitten by the rose bug (about 2 years ago with the purchase of my first rose Belinda's Dream). And I'd really like to know which roses have done well for you in the deep south and Florida. I'm not too into OGR because they get huge and I don't have the space. But I do like them and if you have some that stay small I'd love to know.
I grow most of my roses in pots because my yard is mostly paved. I'd really like to know which roses have been the most disease resistant (I'm moving towards a no spray garden) and which have been the best bloomers. I love Austins and shrub roses as well as floribundas and HT anything I can grow in a planter would be good.
So far I have had luck with:
Gold Medal, Belinda's Dream (she is a dream), Olympiad, Love, Queen Elizabeth, Chicago Peace (so far), Mr. Lincoln (got better with age), Josephs coat (ditto), About Face, Korde's Lions Fairy Tale and Mandarin Ice (superb!), Polonaise, Quietness (also great!), Julia Child, Perfume Delight & All American Beauty (both acceptable, not amazing), Huntington Rose (austin, great bloomer pictured below), Jubilee celebration (ditto), Alnwick Rose and Wolerton Old Hall (great BS resistance and fragrance), Queen Of Sweden (slow bloomer but excellent BS resistance) Golden Princess (buck) and Smart & Sassy (she's still new but so far so good). Iceberg and pink iceberg have also done well for me as well as my OGR Duchess De Brabant (I do like her a lot).

How about you? Which roses have good disease resistant in your southern garden? Photos are always welcome!

Comments (2)