SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Free Compost from city dump?

kimcoco
14 years ago

I've gotten wood chips from our city dump in prior years, though I'm swearing off wood chip mulch. I hate it.

They also offer free compost, nice offer, but after learning about crown gall disease on my Euonymus, it got me to thinking about getting "free" compost from the city - it's a bit risky given that anyone can take their own yard waste to the dump, the city composts it, diseased plants and all, and that gets spread around to anyone and everyone willing to take it. I knew enough to discard my diseased plant in the garbage rather than yard waste, but what about those who don't?

I've read that there is no cure for crown gall disease, it can damage though not necessarily kill plants, and it stays in the soil indefinitely, or for three years after you remove the plant, and will only be erradicated if you let grass grow in that area for three consecutive years, something to that effect.

Using a shovel in the same soil can contaminate other plants in your yard, you have to wash your garden tools in a 30% bleach solution to prevent cross contamination. It's equivalent to a cancer in humans, though can't be transmitted to humans.

While I appreciate the free compost, I'd rather purchase from my local nursery to limit the risks.

Comments (13)