SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

own root Austins that can endure more shade?

zone6-nj
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

After 3 years of buying so many roses, I've come to the point where I don't have much room left to put them! I have a large backyard, but I only plant roses on the side running along it, where I have spots to plant.

I have around 5 roses - potted in 1 gallon pots that I received as bands around 2 weeks ago. I want to put one of them in this one area in my front yard that gets a few hours of sun, I would probably say 3 hours of morning sun until my house blocks it :(

I have the following OWN root roses potted up, and wanted to know which suited the position best, if any (ive read people had some of the following own root roses and it did well in part shade)

Golden celebration
William Shakespeare 2000
Gertrude jekyll
Frederick mistral
the ingenious mr. Fairchild
comte De chambord

I know roses do the best in full sun, but I'm holding out some hope heeding read in the past some people having success with some Austin own roots in not that much sun.

Please advise me on anything extra I would need to do to keep them healthy and happy.. I already bought some of that dr. Earth compost (earthworm castings, alfalfa meal compost mix) to break up some of my clay.

thanks a lot,

Drew

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!