SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_obsessed

Ginkgo Trees

garden_obsessed
17 years ago

Hello,

I am confused about Ginkos, perhaps you could help me? I have 3 male Princeton Sentry Ginkos planted. They are still very young, but lovely. I recently saw some older Ginkgos while out driving and I was surprised to see them as rather upright trees rather than wide spreading trees and they seemed to be very thick of leaves. I thought they were more spreading and would give wide canopies of filtered shade.

Since then, I've been reading all I can about Ginkgos and some places say spreading while some say upright. Are there different varieties that have these traits? I know there's a new smaller growing grafted Sentry out there which is expected to be columnar. The nursery didn't even know how it would grow because its so new but columnar is their best guess. I'm interested in information on the full size trees.

Also, does anyone know about the roots of a male Ginkgo Princeton Sentry? Will it heave up concrete? Are they shallow or deep? We were going to install a sidewalk about 5' away but now we might rethink the plan. The trees are planted on a slight slope so they are slightly below (about 1-1/2') where the sidewalk would go. The idea was to walk under the nice canopy and filtered shade.

Thank you!

Comments (29)