SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Making a large Work Area Part of the Garden

arbo_retum
15 years ago

We maintain an intensely packed arboretum garden of about 1/2 acre. Within it, we have a fenced work area , roughly 20'x20', with gates and arbors leading to other parts of the gardens.Because we are plantspeople whose collection is evergrowing, we began a few years ago to plant in our work area- trees, shrubs, vines. In the past few years we have added some woodland perennials, and a number of garden sculptures and decorative pieces, so our work area has really become part of our gardens. We finally have large work benches under which are hidden pots and potting supplies so when visitors pass through,they may know they're passing through a work area, but there are many interesting plants and features to appreciate, so it is really integrated into the whole experience now. I am so happy with this arrangement. I spend so much time in the work area(esp. because we pot up a lot of plants to sell)that with its current design, I am surrounded by beauty as I would be in the rest of the gardens.I no longer feel that I'm missing out on something when I'm in my work area!

best,

mindy

Comments (3)