SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veilchen_gw

rose transplants not doing so well.

veilchen
13 years ago

I did a search and know to water, water. I moved two 6-year old roses about a month ago, Wm Shakespeare 2000 and Eglantyne. They were just starting to leaf out. I have done this before, moved established roses early in the spring before they were fully leafed out, and they never missed a beat. I think the difference this year is that all my roses in general had a LOT more live cane that didn't need to be pruned from winter kill than usual, we had a very mild winter. So my Austins that usually need to be pruned back to 6-12" only needed pruning to 3 feet. So the two roses I moved had a lot more cane than usual. After about a week their leaves started shriveling up, drying up, and falling off. Now esp. Eglantyne has lost most of its leaves. Canes are still mostly green but some have turned brown. Last week I pruned the canes down to about 18" hoping that would help. Wm.Shakespeare looks quite a bit better but has lost a lot of leaves. Weather here has been unusually warm, sunny, and much less rain than usual, but I have been watering them deeply.

Is there any hope?

Comments (7)