SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowcorrado

18HP Briggs shooting fuel out top of carb

Slowcorrado
11 years ago

Hi all, I recently picked up a Murray 46" riding mower that has been sitting for a few years. Engine model: 422707, Type: 1263.01, Code 9501185B.

I cleaned the mower all up, removed and cleaned the fuel tank, replaced fuel line and filter, removed and cleaned/checked plugs/gap, put new gas in and fired it up. It starts really hard (like the starter is struggling), but once it catches it lights off easily. After letting it idle for a bit, I noticed it was running rough. Both cylinders seem to be firing (removed plug wires while running form one cylinder at a time and it runs worse, etc..) but it was idling like a Harley and there seemed to be fuel pooling in the bottom of the intake manifold.

Purchased a carb rebuild kit, disassembled and cleaned carb thoroughly with gumout and compressed air. Replaced the needle (old one had rubber tip, new one was steel) and the seat (was a pain to pull old one and drive new one in). Checked the float (no gas inside it). Didn't remove the main jet at the bottom (was not included in the kit) but I did clean it thoroughly with carb cleaner running through it. Replaced all fuel pump components, went well. reassembled and installed on mower. (No air filter or housing installed for testing purposes) Here is where the excitement comes in:

Started the mower and it idled better than ever (that is until I noticed fuel just SHOOTING out of the hole circled in the picture below). That pic is a photo I found on the web, my carb is much cleaner! :-) I shut it down immediately and was able to see fuel running down inside the carb and pooling in the bottom of my intake manifold just like before.

Suggestions?!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions