SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Roses bloomed BEFORE peonies - weird spring

Hi folks

We've been noticing how much unusual overlap there has been in the colder zones among all the spring bulbs because of the harsh winter and late warmup in spring. I would have thought all the spring bloomers would have finished before the roses start, though, since the roses are off to a slow and relatively unexciting start (full spring flush is still weeks away and will be small).

What struck me this week was that I have over 30 roses with at least one bloom on them, a few in full bloom, and my peonies are still tightly clustered for the most part. Usually the peonies bloom with the columbine and allium and iris, and are long gone before the roses, just providing some filler foliage for the rest of the summer. Since I cut almost all of the roses back to the ground, I would have thought they'd take at least as long as the peonies would to build up blooms from the ground as well. Go figure - I have teeny clumps of rose foliage putting out blooms already at below knee height, but the peonies are still taking their sweet time.

Here's a photo with evidence of this overlap. This is the only peony that has bloomed, out of about 8 bushes that are still tight buds, and the blossoms that were buds three days ago are already spent in this heat. The big rose is Quadra, and in the background Alexander Mackenzie and John Cabot are clamoring for their own arch. You can even see some spent allium to the right of the photo.

Weird but fun surprises this spring.

Cynthia

Comments (6)