SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_c_gw

Xmas lights for heat in gh

Jim_C
18 years ago

Hello all

I live in Southwestern Ontario and get the same weather as Detroit MI. I have an 8x12 hoophouse that I want to overwinter my bonsai trees in. I don't plan on heating it as most of the trees will be better off just in the greenhouse as opposed to previous winter storage.

My problem is that I have a Satuski Azalia that needs a "gentle" winter. My plan (and please point out any flaws) is to build a box inside the greenhouse with one side open for ventilation. I was going to mount a string of old Xmas lights (that generate heat) inside the box and put the tree in with it.

Outside of the obvious heat in a wooden box, does anyone think this will work if I have them on a timer to come on and shut off several times during the night (to save hydro) or leave them on all night. Would the generated heat be enough to help the tree, or should I look for another option. I don't want to bring the tree into the house after it has gone dormant.

Also if anyone knows about bonsai, would the temperature swings between the heat generated by the GH during the day and the cold of night be more detremental to the trees in general?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH