SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgreenr

Worried about heating Rion GH for winter...

DgreenR
18 years ago

Hi All,

I bought a Rion greenhouse and I am still in the process of putting it up. I have a lot of it done, but it is taking me forever to get around to the last parts and the base. I also can't stop wondering about how I'm going to heat this thing. It is 8.5ft x 12.5 feet and has 4mm double wall polycarbonate glazing. The frame is some kind of coated plastic. When I bought it I wasn't worried about heating it, but now I realize it isnt insulated terrifically. At first I thought I'd use those radiators that plug into the wall and are filled with oil, but now I think it will be too expensive, or so I'm told. Does anyone have anyone have any experience with a greenhouse like mine in a zone 6 or below? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and its the zone is like a low 6 or a high 5. I would love some suggestions as to how to heat this thing. I want to also have the safest heating system possible, I'm hoping for no fires or toxic gases. What Worries me is the couple nights every winter when the temperature drops into the single digits. It also isn't that uncommon to have temperatures in the 20's or even teens during the winter nights or even days sometimes. We also don't get much sun in the winter. Despite this 'greenhouse.com' told me it would be fine in my area. If the greenhouse freezes all my precious plants will be done for! I might look into some sort of light-transparant covering as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-DR

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths