SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fledgeling_

What is the line between zone pessimism and false hope? A rant.

Fledgeling_
15 years ago

A rant against zone ratings. What is the line between pessimism and false hope?

I am a bit peeved and need to vent. I came to visit my parents for a period and see that my mother has gotten several Hydrangea macrophylla plants as a gift - and the tag lists these plants as hardy to zone 3. I have observed several macrophyllas planted in this area and cannot recall seeing one survive the winter in this area- infact, most perish in the summer! She loves the blue so much she might spend $50 on another plant that will most likely not survive in our windy exposed area. I told her these things but you know the tag-says-so so it MUST be true. She never was a person big on listening anyways.

But I have been pushing it to.. I just bought a nice thymus 'silver posie' assuming it would be hardy but some references say it is not cold hardy beyond 6, 5 or 4 respectively. It is *sort of* a big deal if a plant is hardy or is not, so its annoying to see it listed as only hardy to zone 6 anywhere. But then again, on the flip side I have a Agastache foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee' that has been returning reliably for years but one source says it will not survive past zone 9! Agastache foeniculum!

I know there is much more involved in a plants survival than simple cold hardiness but I am sick of misinformation. Many sources list plants that I know for a fact are reliably hardy in my area as zone 5.

Zones are a great idea but with all the stuff around they are sometimes rendered useless. Not that they were anything more than a general guideline anyways, but if you think it should survive and can afford the loss, zone pushing is rewarding.

However, do you think there is a line between Âzone pushing and "false hope"?

The gardenweb forums are full of people who claim as a fact that some plant is far hardier than commonly believed. They often have a point. But I have been told by people here (far south of me, I might add) that I can grow palm trees without protection in South Dakota also! Bull!!

I see a lot of cases where when someone mentions that a plant may not survive, someone else says no, I had that survive the winter in the artic circle or something, or I over wintered my pineapple outdoors in West Virginia. An exaggeration, true but you get the point.

Many things are much hardier than believed and what "the tag" says. But isnÂt the opposite true as well? How do you folks try to tell the difference between by-the-reference-book pessimism and false hope both on the forums and in the nursery?

Comments (12)