SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nysff

$2K-3K budget

nysff
15 years ago

Would welcome any comments/suggestions on my lawn/garden tractor purchase. I read many similar forum threads and gained a lot of good information. Thought I would put up my situation and see what the feedback was.

I've got about a 1 acre to mow, 1/2 acre of flat/very gently slope and about 1/2 acre is about 14-15% grade. It is fairly heavily wooded in spots and sits up against a wooded area (lot of leaves to handle in the fall). Moved in last fall after the previous owner had the leaves picked up, so this is my first season. I plan to mow, purchase and pull a leaf vac which looks to be 200-250 empty, up to 400-500 lbs full, pull a loaded utility cart and maybe aerate.

I've got a budget up to about $3K and planned I would spend at least $2K. For other outdoor power equipment(chain saw, trimmers, etc.) I've typically bought pro-grade (husky xp's, stihl, etc.) I tend to think high-end is the better way to go in the long run and for equipment like a chain saw, it's only $100's more and to a point I spend a little extra for a little more than maybe I need (like having the pro equipment vs. consumer). After looking at new high end lawn/garden tractors, it's going to be $1000's more and that's real money and beyond my budget.

At this point I'm primarily looking used. Premium engines (Command, Vanguard, Kawa) seem pretty standard on the premium equipment. Big issue seems to be transaxle. Even on the premium equipment like the Deere X300 or the Simplicity Regent, it is the low end K46. My sense is that I need (or maybe just want the piece of mind) a step up in transaxle. After a lot of research, that has lead me to a used Deere LX model, 280 seems popular and not that old. It seems as though I could stay in the lower end of my range and still get something with relatively low hours. I believe those are K62 units which are aimed at HD lawn/yard tractors. At the high end of my range, it seems like I might be able to get into a used X320 with a K58. It seem as though both the earlier K62 and K58 are comparable.

I'm probably going over board, but if the transaxle is the weak link, I started looking at used Deere GT's with the K71. GX's are probably beyond my budget. Also, if I am looking toward $3k, the CC GT2542 is an option, certainly used, maybe new.

I could use any feedback on transaxle issue. Am I selling the K46 too short for my application? Is the K58/62 more appropriate and is the GT's with the K71s just plain way over-kill? Deere seems to have the most options, but should I look at the CC GT2542? My preference is to stay under $2500K, but if I need to spend the extra $500 for the long-run, I'll do it. In my situation, what would you do with $2500? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions