SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttonk_gw

Which tree will go well with knockout roses?

ttonk
11 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to decide on an ornamental (not sure if this is a right term) tree that grows no more than 20ft on a front corner of my house.
Currently, there's no tree but there are three knockout roses (double, red). They are very small now (1 ft) and planted about 1-2 ft apart from each other. I think they are too close, and want get rid of one to make a room for a tree. So it will be a tree and two knockout roses behind the tree. I'd like to grow roses up to 4-5 ft.

Now, I'm struggling with the tree choice. I got the following recommendation for the spot.
acer palmatum/sweet bay magnolia/serviceberry/crabapple

I personally want to have Acer pseudosieboldianum for having leaves even in the winter, or an Eastern redbud for flowers. Or more vaguely, I think yellow fall color is pretty.

Which tree would go well year round in terms of color blend with knockout roses? Those roses will have flowers even in the fall. It is hard to visualize for me. Wanted to ask if anyone has a first-hand experience. Roses can go if it is hard to be matched.

In sum, what would you recommend for the front corner of the house, if it is going to be only one tree in front of the house? The distance between the tree and the house is about 5-6 ft. If it goes well with red roses, it's a plus. If there's a better choice and it doesn't go well with red roses, I can move roses to other spots. It's zone 5B. Clay soil. North-east corner of the house. Drains relatively well and there's a sprinkler nearby.

This post was edited by ttonk on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 15:28

Comments (39)