SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bauerbach_gw

mixing garden soil, topsoil/manure/peat/vermiculite/sand? what?

bauerbach
10 years ago

Raised beds, need alot of dirt, no known contacts for yardage quantities. I have no personal compost available, just bought the house, I live alone, I dont eat enough to ever fill much of anything with organic scraps. Havent even mowed a yard yet to consider lawn clippings.

Is there a mad scientist mix of stuff to make the "best" garden soil from what they sell at big box stores?

Option 1: buy bags of miracle grow potting soil, $2/cu ft on sale this weekend. Not sure how good or bad this soil is, but its an easy option.

Option 2: buy bags of topsoil, $.67/cu ft. Then I could mix it with... whatever I want...

Peat $1/cuft
Manure $1/cuft
Vermiculite $10/cuft
Sand ~$1/cuft

I have hopes that I could find a good ratio of these items and mix up some killer garden soil for half the price of miracle grow... Would I be missing any major components? what ratios would I want?

I could easily achieve 25+% organics considering I can go nuts with the peat/manure ratio. I think sand is supposed to be about 10%? but it may already exist in the top soil. Vermiculite is rather expensive, is it worth adding?

Comments (11)