SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hueytlatoani

Slug control-a cautionary tale

hueytlatoani
15 years ago

I have a small greenhous I built with love, polyethylene, and little else. I've been using it to grow vegetables for the fall and winter-greens, mostly. It's been going quite well, except for a huge number of slugs.

I think the greenhouse must serve as a slug beacon, perhaps 6 mil polyethylene, where silent to our human ears, sounds like a dinnerbell to slugs, calling them from their haunts, under logs, stones and what have you for miles around.

I lost many plantings of kohlrabi, beets, radishes etc to their nibblings, and when I could take it no more began hand picking them 3 times every night, a couple of hours apart. I was collecting over a dozen most nights. I set out some traps with yeast and alcohol, with little success relative to hand picking. A few nights ago I decided to up the ante, as it were, and placed numerous small aluminum foil trays, cups, and paper plates of wet dog food around between the plants.

Jackpot! The first night I captured over 30 slugs between the dog food and the plants. I was feeling pretty good about about things. Last night, I collected only around a dozen-I was finally reducing their numbers! Then, this morning...

The dogs came. THere is a slight degree of irony here that gives me pause. My garden was full of small holes made by slugs, and seedlings were being eaten. Small damage from small creatures. Dogs, on the other hand, are quite large, and let me tell you, when they rip a huge hole in your greenhouse and then dig through your garden trying to find numerous tiny cups of food, they have a tendancy to destroy everything in your greenhouse. Everything. Dogs, you see, are far more destructive pests than slugs ever can be, and they can smell dogfood food just as strongly as slugs respond to greenhouses. The dogs were mine, but that does not make things better. I urge you, not to make the same mistake I did-and never, ever underestimate the nose of a hungry dog.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert