SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

'Mermaid'; and Teas and 'Perle d'Or' grafted

melissa_thefarm
15 years ago

I have a spot at the end of a grass terrace, well supplied with sun and soil, where I can put a large rose. I may have a plant of 'Mermaid' this fall, grown from a cutting, and I was wondering how it would look there. I'm sure that the easiest way to grow 'Mermaid' is to let is romp and not try to train it, but would it look good in this position? I need a rose that will make a big mound and serve as a focal point. What is the habit of 'Mermaid' when it's allowed to grow free?

Over two years ago, by now, I bought several Teas and 'Perle d'Or', all grafted (on Laxa, I believe), just because that was the only way they were available. By the end of last fall some were finally getting going, but others are still quite small. They were grown under conditions neither better nor worse than those of the ownroot Teas and Chinas in the garden, but I think are somewhat slower. I'm wondering whether the slower-growing Teas and 'Perle d'Or' might dislike growing on rootstock? Any ideas? I have quite a few grafted roses, and the once-blooming old roses don't have any trouble at all growing this way. Thanks,

Melissa

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz