SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Roses that have claws! Perle, Glamis, Stanwell.

What are your thorniest roses (in reality or imagination)?

As Ingrid noted, Perle d'Or is nowhere near as thorny as Glamis Castle which certainly is a well-armed little bugger. In terms of ACTUAL thorns, Glamis is by far the more vicious of the two. However, in terms of PERCEIVED thorns, Perle is tops on my list.

Glamis is so petite and located in such a benign spot in the garden that I just gear up with long sleeves and thick gloves and snip away at his modest but but spiky canes and branches. Perle on the other hand, grows right smack next to the sidewalk so that I have to shove her back, stake her, and whack off massive quantities of growth every month. She's huge! HUGE! Her sprays reach 8 feet and she's almost 4 feet wide. (Yes, I DO prune her down in late winter.)

Perle wields pitbull-tenacious, bloodletting fanged thorns, like the ones closing around your throat in your most terrifying bogey man nightmares, the snaggleteeth of closet lurkers and under-the-bed creepies. And her thorns aren't just at the base of the plant. Oh, no! They run the course of canes and stems right up to the intersection of the flower sprays. If she doesn't snag you at first swipe, she'll nail you on the second.

Perle is the only rose (in recent years) that has reduced me to public cursing. I have rather long hair, and I usually clip it atop my head to garden. Perle frequently pulls all kinds of stunts that count as bad sportsmanship. Any kid in the schoolyard knows that you can't grab a handful of someone's tresses and pin her down while you rake your fingernails across tender exposed skin. No, sir. Foul play! But Perle? She's like the dirty boxer in Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. It's a life-threatening experience working with Perle. At any moment one could lose an eye...or a limb.

So, with that rant out of the way. I'd like to add that Perle is also one of my favorite roses. She blooms continuously--delicate blossoms in shades of sweetest apricot and peach--and her plus-sized form is graceful and full of healthy canes and mellow green foliage. (How ironic is that combo of dainty and ferocious?)

If I were to name my thorniest rose hands down and no contest, it would, of course, be Stanwell Perpetual. (Photo attached.) But Stanwell, like Glamis, is tucked into a convenient spot in the back garden, and when I approach him, I have the expectation of armed combat. No concealed weapons. We have laid our ground rules.

So, I'm curious. What are your (real or perceived) thorniest roses?

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 16:59

Comments (28)