SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Toro WheelHorse Brake Adjustment (Pic)

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

I had posted this as a tranny problem but now, after some feedback, I think I have a brake adjustment problem.

I have a Toro Wheelhorse (pictured below) 2000 model 12-32XL Lawn Tractor Model 71199. (peerless tranny model 205-509E, D.O.M = 01093B0046)

The sucker take its time stopping when I make a left turn with the wheels at 11:00. Turn the wheels to 9:00 and it really does not stop at all. In all other directions it stops fine. I have tried to keep it in good shapeÂits not a junker. I invested $200 2 years ago to have new belts and pulleys put on and was planning to keep it. Now I wonderÂTo be honest 99% of the time I drive clockwise so I wonder if driving clockwise for 10 years caused this!

Anyway, someone was kind enough to make a suggestion about the brakes:

http://www.odref.com/peerless/205-SERIES/205-205-509E.PDF

Look at that. In the bottom center you'll see the round disc, part 38. This acts as the brake. Part 41 hooks to the clutch/brake rod. It's been awhile, but I think you turn the nut on the end of the rod (not pictured) inward a turn or two and try the brakes again.

Well I peeked under tonight and found a crap load of old grass in there. I blew it all out with my blower, a screwdriver and some aerosol air. I test drove it. I stops harder now but still stops too slow on slight left hand turn and not really at all on a hard left.

I looked for the bolt in the diagram referenced above and do not really see it. I am no mechanic but you guys have talked me thru some fixes and I am willing to try unless you guys think I should just have it hauled to the dealer.

Here is what I see when I look in this area. Suggestions?

{{gwi:321603}}

{{gwi:321605}}

{{gwi:321607}}

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting