SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadej

Noob question - should you ever sift potting mixes?

Nadej
13 years ago

I've been sifting my potting mixes, making weird and random mixtures of worm castings, dash of peatmoss, vermiculite, different potting mixes - MiracleGro, Sta-Green, ProMix, Scott's, Jiffy and Soilite + Timberline Cow manure) for replanting of mostly tomatoes, peppers and eggplants but also some flowers as well.

Is there any sense in doing the sifting? I mean, I just got constantly annoyed because I wanted fluffy soil without random twigs, wood chips and rocks which I then had to manually pick out so that there is no root obstruction.

But today I went on to move 4 pretty tall (6") peppers from the 2x2 square cells container to the bigger container (regular red plastic drinking cups with 5 large drilled holes) and what a pain! The plants are healthy but their soil is so soggy and the root ball is not intact at all, even though the roots were starting to poke out on the top. Once I carefully moved them to bigger containers and and filled it up with soil, I watered them and then just sat and waited...and waited...AND WAITED - it took 10 minutes for the little water that I added on top to get completely absorbed into the cups.

So does sifting out junk reduces drainage? How do you keep your soil fluffy and stone free? Am I just OCD-ing over nothing? I live in Southern New England, close enough to the ocean, so rocks/gravel are kind of a touchy subject for many of us here.

I just wish I could come up with reasonable ratios for stuff that's still under grow lights (last year I seem to have ruined tons of flowers by doing 33/33/33 of potting mix, cow manure and peatmoss)

Comments (20)