SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Finding browns - My greatest hurdle in composting

takadi
13 years ago

So I have been composting for about 4 years now and probably the biggest problem I run into is finding enough carbon sources. Ironically, I find all you need is mostly carbon to get the compost pile heated up and with enough carbons, pests and nasty odors don't become an issue. It's just that I can never have enough! Since I don't have a truck or a large vehicle, "stealing" leaves from neighbors is a difficult task, not to mention sort of embarrassing, especially when you get caught. I find myself scouring through craiglist for anyone who is willing to dump a bunch of sawdust or woodchips onto my driveway. I got extremely lucky the second year I was composting since there was a tree processor right down the street and he gladly dumped a huge truckload of woodships onto my drive way, which lasted me a little over a year, but now I'm out and need my carbon fix.

I live in Northern VA, so I've been collecting logs and other wood scraps that resulted from the huge snow storm earlier this year. But ideally, if someone could just come around to my backyard and just plop down a 10 foot high pile of sawdust, that would make my day.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting