SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atekk_gw

Mulch for perrenial garden??

ATekk
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I posted in the soil,compost and mulch forum but no response after a week so thought I would try here.

I recently expanded an old flower bed and redid with a complete revamp of shrubs including boxwoods azaleas holly and rhododendron. This is for the front yard so I wanted more evergreen structure for year round appeal. I will be adding a lot of perennials into this garden but am not sure what to use for mulch.

If this were fall I would start chopping some dry leaves and be very content but unfortunately none is to be found in May haha. I would like to use a decorative mulch (root mulch from the nursery so more organic looking but still pleasing to the eye as the bed is still very sparse. I have read that hardwood mulches may inhibit perrenials from spreading and growing their best. I would prefer to use something more eye appealing for the front yard (backyard I will try to stick with leaves, dried grass etc). Any experience using regular hardwood mulches etc in perennial beds? I am just being too paranoid about it? What other options am I missing?

Thank you!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor