SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dmatx

Blooms drying up and dying before bloom

dmatx
9 years ago

Completely new at at any kind of gardening so please bear with me if I don' have terminology right or ask basic questions.

I planted some knockout roses on the west side of the house. Zone 7, Fort Worth Texas. My yard does have a lot of large trees but does get probably 6 hours of sun.

The plants are not doing so hot. My girlfriend planted 2 last year. One of which got torn out for plumbing repairs. The remaining one doesn't look so hot. It is not growing bigger and leaves are paler green than I would think is normal.

We decided to try again this year and really try to pay attention and figure out how to grow...something. We planted knockout roses based on the marketing that any idiot can grow them. They had blooms on them when we put them in the ground. The current plants have been out for about a month. Initially wilted and then kind of picked back up. A few are doing better than others and bloomed well. The others seemed to dry up and lose leaves near the bottom. Additionally the blooms at the top seem to die before blossoming. See pictures for what I mean.

I put compost in the hole when I planted them but didn't fertilize. About two weeks later I put in some rose food pellets that I can't recall the name of now. They are being watered off of a drip line with 1GPH drippers at the base near the dirt so they are not getting sprayed down. It hasn't rained much here and we did have one late frost after they were planted.

I swear I see people on practically every other house that have knockouts 4ft high in complete shade planted in drums of used motor oil and they are doing great so I am going to take it personally if I can't get something to grow :)

Comments (8)