SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Deadheading and Pruning Edward Scissorhands Style

harmonyp
11 years ago

Campanula made a comment in a drift vs. carpet rose thread lately that turned on a huge lightbulb for me. As I have finally gotten to what I consider my rose limit - around 85 (I have NO CLUE how you guys with hundreds do it!) - I've been thinking - how in the heck do I keep everything deadheaded and pruned in a timely manner? Especially the deadheading which I like doing constantly to keep my repeat going.

Campanula mentioned using topiary sheers for her carpet rose. I had never heard of topiary sheers, but have since looked them up and have to buy a set. But, I pulled out my hedge trimming sheers - much clumsier for roses, but they sure make fast work of it - and started chopping away. Just lightly on top for the deadheading, then as deep as I want for the less frequent pruning. WOW. I can deadhead the entire place in about 20 minutes. Not as delicate a procedure as doing them by hand, and pruning isn't at the exact place on each cane as I'd prefer, but it sure does do the job.Versus pinching off about 1000 dead blooms by hand - that became completely out of the question.

Not only is it fast, but it is quite fun! Topiary sheers next!

Comments (12)