SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Will black spot & powdery mildew resolve on their own?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm seeing a LOT of blackspot and powdery mildew (it feels like more than I saw last year on my little plants)... and I'm not sure if this is normal for the varieties I've picked or just the wierd wierd weather we've had the last 6 weeks.

Also wondering if blackspot and PM are 2 afflictions that will usually resolve on their own when the weather warms up and dries out, or if I'm going to need to treat them with something for them to recover. (I had hoped to do no spray... which in hindsight I now know I shouldn't have picked HPs and bourbons, right?)

In particular, my Vick's Caprice is *covered* with black spot that just showed up for the first time 2 weeks ago (and it feels like it gets a little worse each day). The Honorine de Brabant has a little BS (but oddly my "Reine Victoria" is clean. Isn't that supposed to get BS horribly?)

My Souvenir de la Malmaison and Pink Gruss an Aachens have some PM (though I vaguely recall this resolving in the dry weather last year).

My GHat and Ulrich Brunner Fils so far only have a couple of blackspots... and (yippee) my Reine des Violettes is perfectly clean.

And oddly enough, La Reine is perfect. Not a spot. Lush dark green healthy foliage. Unfortunately, she's way too wickedly thorny for me and she's going to go away when she can find a new home.

I'm hoping it's just the weather, and that it'll go away with no intervention on my part, but my poor Vick's Caprice... it's looking pretty bad.

Thanks,

-kmama

Comments (10)