SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

Best tractor for lawn mowing and light earth moving (on a budget)

emmers_m
15 years ago

Hi, everyone,

My SO and I moved to a house a little while ago with nearly an acre of backyard, and we're feeling overwhelmed wth our plans for it. He's lusting after a toro dingo (or some such) but there is absolutely no way our budget will stretch to such a device. Never ever. So I had the idea of trying to combine the earth-moving function with the lawn mowing function, hopefully only having to purchase/house one device.

We're currently subsisting with a 1986-ish 12hp Yardman - although we think we might be able to find a dozer/snow plow blade to fit it, we're seriously doubting that it would have the oomph to accomplish anything. We're also looking for something to act a bit more like a backhoe than a dozer- with a little bit of lift - like the johnny bucket or the tractor shovel attachment from john deere.

Are there general guidelines you could recommend for a capable tractor? I think I'd need a garden tractor, rather than lawn, etc. but our budget might only stretch to the more basic models of GT.

Is there a minimum horsepower rating? A specific type of transmission? Any other stats I should be looking for?

And are there any specific models you would recommend?

We're hoping to use the device for a bunch of projects - compost deliveries from the town every year, terracing the backyard, grading some soggy areas, putting in a dry streambed, and more - so renting something would quickly get quite expensive. But of course mowing half an acre or so of lawn would be its primary function.

Am I crazy, or is there a tractor that could work? We're also open to getting a more expensive device used, if that's a better option.

Sorry for the long post, but I would very much appreciate some advice!

Thanks,

~Emily

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions