SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Looking back at my first year of roses

sherryocala
16 years ago

I have some observations.

First, even though they say chives are good grown closely with roses, I won't ever plant them in the same pot - even a large pot. When I removed my Bella'roma for lack of vigor, I could barely budge the rose out of the pot even though when it came out, it had practically no roots. But the pot WAS full of roots - chive roots, which had entangled and strangled the rose. That was a no-no.

Second, having a small garden, I hate to acknowledge this point. I should have been more generous with my spacing. Second year bushes - teas, Chinas and noisettes - are very generous shrubs, not resembling in the least the tiny babies that went in the ground a year ago. I only hope they enjoy living cheek by jowl.

Third, I did not imagine the transformation that would occur in a year. My oldest bed is now a full year old and holds Louis Philippe, Natchitoches Noisette, Belinda's Dream, Spice, Old Blush, Carnation, Tiffany, Mothersday and Mrs. B. R. Cant. In January they were pretty much leafless, and all I had was the hope that this was normal winter and spring would follow soon. Well, it was, and it did. My impatient, ignorance were no match for nature's determined and mysterious progress. And I don't know who is prouder - me or the bushes. They seem so full of themselves, busting their buttons. This "grown-ness" snuck up on me in a happily surprising way.

Fourth, seeing the forms and growth manners of different types of roses is a real wow! Reading about it is one thing; seeing it is something else entirely.

Fifth, planting roses is not growing roses. I feared last year that with my face to the ground I would lose sight of the garden. Well, my face can barely SEE the ground now, so I don't think that will be a problem. It's wonderful to stand back and take in the whole breadth of it.

Sixth, I have no words to describe this new version of my garden and these new versions of my roses. A truly marvelous metamorphosis has happened!

Sherry

P.S. Seventh, moving roses may become a way of life!

Comments (9)