SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Bee Balm Several Questions

lovefornature
15 years ago

Hi everyone!! I am in 5B IL.

I purchased Monarda Gardenview Scarlet Bee Balm a Couple of Days ago and have several questions.

I am going to placing it in the bed of the picture below, once I get the grass killed out and the ground level. The area gets a little direct afternoon sunlight and some dappled sunlight thruout the day, but none in the am. The bed is about 10 x 12 ft. The Bee Ball will sit in the far left of the bed.

{{gwi:220908}}

My questions are:

Can I buy a HUGE pot, cut a hole in the bottom, put the Bee Balm in it and bury it in the ground to keep it from spreading real bad? Will that work.

Powerdy Mildew: I heard that this plant is famous for having it. What are some preventative ways of keeping this at bay without using something that will hurt for wildlife.

Do I cut it down to the ground in fall? Do I wait until all the leaves are brown and dead before cutting if cutting is necessary.

How long does this plant bloom.

What are a few companion plants that look great with this to place in front of it. Red is not a favorite color of mine, but this will be focal for hummingbirds and this plot will be also. I love purples, yellows and whites and maybe a little pink.

I thought about tickseed, which some hybrids call for sun, part sun, but the one I liked best I thought the foilage would not blend well with the leaves of the Bee Balm.

I could not find any purples for the sunlight the area receives.

Not a real sunny area, so I know this will be a problem.

Is there a drawf purple bee balm??

So sorry so many questions......I just want to do some things right this year, I have failed so many times....

Thank you everyone for your time :)

Comments (7)